Monday, February 22, 2010

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Posted by Kangman1


Medium: Starz TV Series
Genre: Action/Adventure Drama
Production Year: 2010

This series is currently running it's first season on Starz. The first five episodes have already aired and you can catch new episodes on Friday nights at 10pm on Starz. Or if you do not have Starz, like me, you can watch new episodes on Netflix instant. I think you will notice a common theme between my posts and Tolashgaulris's posts...we are both strong supporters of Netflix and Hulu.

Synopsis:
This series follows the legend of Spartacus, interpreted through the writing of Steven S. Deknight. Spartacus (Andy Whitfield), a Thracian betrayed by the Roman Empire, ripped from the warm arms of his loving wife (Erin Cummings) and forced into slavery as a Gladiator, sentenced to death, must fight for his life. This is no easy task under new master and gladiator owner, Batiatus (John Hannah) and his scheming, unfaithful wife, Lucretia (Lucy Lawless). A new found life of brutal torture and fatal combat, all in a single hope to find his wife, has become the story of Spartacus; a story of love, betrayal, greed and one mans will to do everything in his power to save the love of his life.

Overall Average Score: 7.17
This is a very intriguing story, following in the same light as "Gladiator" and "300". Not that I believe "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" is equal to either of these films, it does combine aspects of each to make an entertaining television series. The storyline loosely follows the historic accounts of Spartacus and his dramatic rebelling against the Roman Empire to become one of the most revered slaves in all of history. I find it easy to get behind Spartacus's cause, almost rooting for him to prevail. The graphic bloody and violent combat scenes don't hurt either. This series does however have ALOT of nudity, female and male. If nudity and sexuality doesn't appeal to you, then you may want to find a different show. But overall, I find this an enjoyable and appealing show that I will continue to watch.

Writing: 7

This show is based on the historical legend of Spartacus. Spartacus's story however has been hard to accurately define because of the time period of his life, 109-71 B.C., and as we all know, history is written by the victor! With that said, the facts that we do know can't be completely accurate and are left to be filled in by the writer. Head writer, Steven S. Deknight does a very good job at creating a plot that keeps the viewers intrigued by what may happen next. There aren't many times where I find my self scratching my head, thinking "what were they thinking? That isn't believable!". So the writing definitely adds more than it takes away. By no means is it the best written show on television, but a compelling story, along with good acting and cool graphics can never go wrong.

Acting: 7
Andy Whitfield delivers a very intense and passionate performance of Spartacus. You can definitely feel the pain and sorrow over his loss and his inability to rectify the situation. There is a well rounded mix of characters to even out story lines of treachery and deceit, especially found in Lucretia (Lucy Lawless). I think this show is well-casted, with the actors ability to bring you in to the time period. Not to say everything about the acting is perfect, I do find myself once in awhile bothered by talent drop-off from the main cast to the extras/smaller characters. I don't have any examples of this right now, but if you watch the show, maybe you feel the same way. As a whole, I don't think you will find any award winning performances, but you most likely won't be laughing at how bad they are either.

Directing: 8
So far I have been fairly impressed with the directing and producing (Grady Hall, Sam Raimi, etc.). I feel like the sets and wardrobe are era specific and fit well with what they are trying to accomplish. I haven't noticed any horrific wardrobe malfunctions like army fatigues during the middle ages, but if anyone has, please let me know. They are not afraid to explore the sexually explicit time period that the show takes place in (notice the warning in the beginning of the show), which in my opinion only adds the realistic take on the story. The detail given to the fight choreography is a definite bonus. All in all, well directed and produced.

Photography/Special Effects: 7
I have been pleasantly surprised at the special effects thus far. There are parts of fight scenes that are very Frank Miller esq (300), which I love. I know it isn't original or ground breaking, but for a television show on a first season budget, I enjoy it. I have heard some complaints about the blatant green screen backdrops. Sometimes the background appears to be a pastel painting. I don't know if this is what they are going for or if it is budgetary restrictions. It doesn't really bother me but I thought I would just throw that in there since I have heard those complaints.

Soundtrack/Sound Effects: 6
To be honest, I haven't really noticed the soundtrack or the special effects, for whatever its worth. I guess they aren't fantastic enough to get my attention or crappy enough to annoy me. In my opinion, the music fits with the time period and the sound effects are sufficient enough for the show. Not great, not horrible, just average.

Choreography (dancing/fighting): 8
The fighting and gladiatorial combat scenes are my favorite part of the show. The sequences are believable and action packed, never short on blood and guts. I really enjoy movies/tv show that actually show the vicious blows and vulgar wounds they inflict. Not to mention the "300"-like cinematography. It adds a sense of realism and authenticity with a bad-ass, "I'm gonna F--- you up" attitude. I understand that network shows don't have this freedom, but that is why I'm glad it's on Starz! The fight choreography isn't the best I've seen, but it definitely holds its own. Blood and believability...I'm in!

Click Here!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good information. Lucky me I discovered your site by chance (stumbleupon).
I've book marked it for later!

Here is my weblog; cheap social bookmark

Post a Comment

Blog Directory Blog search directory blog directory